Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Disclaimer--Who I Am, Why the Blog, Why the Effort

I am a busy American. Politicians work to spend money. I work to make it. I don't have time to keep current on the latest polls and political gossip. I've got better things to do than stay up to speed on the most recent Yemen or Darfur engagement, as reported by the New York Times or Angelina Jolie.

I don't have time for politics. I keep my opinions to my mom, my dad and my younger sister. I'd rather watch Sportscenter than CNN, I'd rather read John Adams than Politico.

But I feel that I need to try my best to voice my opinions. The internet allows me a medium unthought of a century ago. I doubt these thoughts will get far in the cyberspace world. At least I can say I made an attempt. I've got to try something.

I am a young American. Too often,the issues that will affect my future are forgotten by Congress and other political leaders. They put problems of tomorrow into the same drawer that I keep all of those odds and ends that I never really have a place for--the scissors, Papa John's coupons, duct tape, yellow pages, Gorilla glue, broken stapler, postage stamps. However,the problems that they are relegating to future generations--Social Security obligations, enormous national debt, slipshod immigration policy, moral disintegration--are a bit weightier than pizza discounts and office supplies.

I don't enjoy paying taxes so that today's political leaders, who seem to care only about the short term--whether it be the short-term for their constituants (which I hope is the case), or the short term for themselves and reelection (which it all-too-often seems). Where are the politicians with visions for the future?

American needs more young people to speak up. The sqeaky wheel gets the oil, the lobbyists gets the pork. The young Americans? We get debt, acid rain, a powerful Russia to flirt with on the schoolground, and we'll have broken system of government entitlements. Like last holiday season's phone commercial--"And what did Daddy get? Daddy got hosed." The scene in UHF sums up our prize nicely: "You win a drink from the fire hose!!!!"

I'm not at all a political junkie; I'm no wordsmith, no logician, and I'm certainly not a philosopher. I graduated college this year with a degree in accountancy. I work for Ernst & Young on the 23rd floor in a cubicle far removed from the water cooler. I'm your average white-collar worker. Take my political writings and knowledge with a granule of salt--ne sutor ultra crepidam, as the Classicists say.

I care about the future of the young American. I'm 24 years old. I have hope that America will still be great when I'm seventy. But we have work to do for that.

And miles to go before we sleep. And miles to go before we sleep.

1 comment:

Nellie said...

Dave, I'm so glad you started this. You need to link it to our Hancock women blog. Send this to the wave! Beck and O Riley were just as disgusted with the debate as we were.