Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Up! Mind thine own aim--

By nature, I am prone to doubt. I tend to check and recheck any path I travel. In situations that are new and foreign, I lack confidence. I cower under waves of fear and “what ifs.” In my quest to always want to do things right, for things to work out how my narrow-vision thinks they should, I often find myself tripping into the pit of criticism—I become trapped playing the part of the cynic (as you can tell by reading my last few posts).


But, deep down, I don’t think that’s me. I long to be enthusiastic; I want to live on hope, with my vision bedazzled by the sparks of humanity, goodness, and virtue that can be found in the people of America. Goodness seems hard to find, at times, in the realm of network news. TMZ, and Late Night TV mockery. But I want to try.


Because I believe in America. The framers of our Constitution began an experiment of freedom that has lasted for generations. One bad president cannot spoil a nation of good people. A good president cannot save a wicked nation. Duty lies in every citizen of a free society. As long as America succeeds, I should always be able to find models of this patriotic duty.


Thomas Paine’s book Common Sensewas a sensation that helped spur sentiments for the American Revolution. As important as that book was for the revolution, John Adams disapproved somewhat of Paine’s style of writing. He thought that Paine used his pen to “bring things down.” The end purpose of writing, Adams thought, should be to lift up.


I need to make that my goal with this blog-in-progress.



Life is too short to waste
In critic peep or cynic bark,
Quarrel or reprimand:
'Twill soon be dark;
Up! Mind thine own aim, and
God speed the mark!

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

Nellie said...

I think your posts are more fun to read when you are in the "bring things down" mode. But I also think Emerson hit it on the nail. "God speed the mark"

Heather said...

Hey Dave! I've started reading your blog, and am reminded of reading your articles from The Vespine (wow, took a sec to remember the name of our school paper). Good times.

Anyway, I absolutely love Ralph Waldo Emerson and was happy to see that you quoted him. I also happen to like Thomas Paine (from reading Common Sense at least). Seems to me like if you tear some things down, you can build better things up. That's really the purpose of critisism, I think. But I'd be interested to see what John Adams' writing style is like.

Keep up the blog.